Wednesday, April 17, 2013

1996-06-07 Field Journal #2 @ Nanoose Bay + article

From the field journal of Anthony Marr

June 7, 1996, Friday

[10:18 @ the residence of Erick Smith and Diana Prestidge in Nanoose Bay]

We stayed last night at the residence of Eric Smith and Diana Prestidge, a house of wood and glass and light at Nanoose Bay near Nanaimo. As with Wayne and Anita, Eric and Diana are total strangers, except for their name’s being under the names of local environmental organizations in our itinerary compiled by myself. The information came from various environmental contact lists from WCWC’s Communication Coordinator Sue Fox and publications such as BC Environmental Network’s green directory. Erica’s job is to contact all these people to ask for their help and participation. One of the things in which they can help is to offer us bed and breakfast. So far, so good. So far, so wonderful, in fact, and not just the food.

Still, I had only 2 hours’ sleep the night before, and no more than five hours last night, still due to sinus blockage. Felt almost totally depleted yesterday. Still somewhat weak-kneed right now.

Nonetheless, I gave a short (15 minutes, allotted) but (someone said) “motivational” speech (without visuals) to a small group (about 15) of WCWC Mid-Island chapter people, including WCWC Director Annette Tanner and her husband Scott of Qualicum Beach, and Nanaimo’s Gay Cunningham and Dirk Becker, among others. I was more or less an adjunct guest speaker in a prearranged speaking event featuring Joe Foy as the keynote speaker. Being a mainly by-invitation-only meeting, few if any hunters were present.

Tonight, the somewhat fabled whale watching town of Toni edging the open Pacific Ocean on the west coast of Vancouver Island, also of Clayoquot Sound fame. The Friends of Clayoquot Sound, many of whose members were among the 700 arrested during the blockade of 1994, including leader Valerie Languor, will be orchestrating the event.

Hate to have this kind of thing happen, much less write about it, but Erica got me upset again this morning without knowing it. Before retiring last night we agreed that she would get up around 08:00 and begin making phone calls (from Eric and Diana’s phone, with their permission) as of 08:30 by the latest. She herself said yesterday that she had more phone calls to make than she had time. By 09:30, she was still chatting with Diana and Eric, and had yet to make the first phone call. Out of politeness to our hosts, I held my peace. But when I asked to use the phone to make my own calls, Erica stopped me and said, “Let me make a few short calls first.” Now, it is past 11, and I haven’t been able to make one call.

Yesterday, I overheard one long distance phone call of Erica’s, which lasted over half and hour, which could have served the same purposed had it lasted only 5 minutes. I did make a comment to this effect to her after the phone call. Her response was a fleeting and half-hearted mention of quitting, which neither of us wanted. I didn’t call her shot.

But soon, I would have to have a big talk with her, not just about the phone call, but the whole project and her place in it. She’ll be upset, and so will I, but it needs to be done, the sooner, the better, for both of us, and the bears, too.

[13:12] The Sierra Club (at Smithers) is siding with the hunter and guide-outfitters and wrote us a letter saying, “… We suggest that you cancel your public meeting, or…” Well, there are environmental groups, and environmental groups.


June 7, 1996, Fri.
The Vancouver Sun

Law to curb wildlife trade

Ottawa -

Environment Minister Sergio Marchi has brought in stiff new regulations to curb the illegal trade in wildlife and plants.

The regulations provide fines of up to $300,000 and jail terms of up to five years for people who illegally import endangered species or who are caught in possession of products made from these products.

For example, a store owner who sells a product made from tiger parts could be convicted under the legislation, passed in 1992, but only recently proclaimed.

Under previous legislation, it was illegal to import tiger parts into Canada, but once smuggled into the country, such parts could be sold openly.

No comments:

Post a Comment